Monday, April 14, 2008

At last, a bird

This is the first photo I've been able to take of a bird. Why? Because my camera zoom is totally inadequate, and the birds are usually too far away (or too fast for me). So this one was taken with a borrowed camera, and I got it because the bird happened to be on the tree right next to the shed, and obligingly stayed there for a while.
Now, identification. My bird book has a million options, but I think this is a White-throated Treecreeper - I know the treecreeper bit is right by the way they move up and down the tree trunks (I'd called it a brisk trot rather than a creep!).

4 comments:

Snail said...

We should go birdwatching together. Birds have to be strapped to tree branches with big neon arrows pointing to them before I can a) see them and then b) focus on them!

That definitely looks like a white-throated treecreeper to me. Good catch!

Anonymous said...

A beautiful photo, Sherryl.
Snail's comments made me chuckle.

Gouldiae said...

G'day Sherryl,
Yep, White-throated Treecreeper. A good get. You would possibly have heard him before you saw him. They have a distinctive rapid high pitched piping call that penetrates the bush.
Gouldiae.

Sherryl and Meredith said...

Thanks - I will listen out for them. Now if I could just pin down a fairy wren or a blue wren long enough to get a decent photo...

 
Nature Blog Network