Sunday, October 5, 2008

Early Spring Flowers

Not much out yet, as you would expect. We've had some sunny, warm days but plenty of cold ones too. Of course, one of the first out has to be Early Nancy!
My trusty reference book, Wildflowers of the Brisbane Ranges, tells me that this plant - Creeping Bossiaea - grows in open moist forest. I mostly find it up the top end of the property near the track and fenceline where it gets more light. The extra rain up there this winter has meant this has spread quite a bit, making a great display of yellow and burnt orange.

3 comments:

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Sherryl
I love the Early Nancy.
Eggs and Bacon are usually too hard for me to tell apart, except with a microscope, and a really good book. Cheerful plants, though.
Denis

Sherryl said...

Please excuse my ignorance, Denis! What are Eggs and Bacon?

Denis Wilson said...

Hi Sherryl
It is a common, but definitely unscientific name for any of those yellow and red pea flowers (of which there are hundreds). I must have picked up that name as a child, going on bushwalks with the Field Naturalists in the Brisbane Ranges back in the 1950s. It has stuck with me all those years. It seemed appropriate, seeing as that's where your post was based on.
Denis

 
Nature Blog Network